Thursday, April 30, 2009

False Alarm

     Today for the first time since living here the smoke alarm went off. It happened after I took a shower. And having never been properly trained in how to turn off a smoke alarm I fanned at it wildly with a pillow. Although this was the first time I've heard it, it was not the first time the apartment was filled with smoke. Recently my boyfriend Michael was preparing to cook something so he had some oil heating up in a pan. The oil was forgotten about until there was a huge flame leaping up to the ceiling. The smoke alarm was silent. It was a good thing we didn't suddenly decide to go for a walk or take a nap because the entire building would have been reduced to ash. 
     I wonder why one might place a smoke alarm directly outside of the bathroom? Also known as the 'water closet,' water a substance that is said to extinguish fires? Could it be that it's because it's also near the bedroom? Which commonly contains a mattress which is more flammable than a can of gasoline. I guess it comes down to this: Would I rather experience the very unlikely horror of being burned to a crisp in my bed? Or would I rather prevent a fire in a place it's most likely to start (kitchen) and risk the possibility of burning in my bed in the event that I decide to light a giant candelabra and place it on my mattress and nod off? It's hard to say. I do so love falling asleep in candle light. 

1 comment:

Alia said...

You pose interesting questions...maybe the smoke alarm being near the bedroom is in case there is a fire at night and people are sleeping.
I'm listening to Elliot Smith right now, which has made me think of you--check your blog, and also has put me in a literary mood, I feel like starting my second novella. Does Elliot Smith do that to you?
Sorry, that had nothing to do with smoke alarms.